"If I simply live the principles that appear to be truth for me, I will touch the lives of those I am destined to touch."
I have lived in Somerset for over 30 years and have worked with people, from all walks of life, in a variety of roles. It has been a series of life events that have led me to to my chosen path as a counsellor - an instinct that this was the right choice for me. This journey of extensive training and counselling in organisations led me to start a private counselling practice in January 2013 where I have gained valuable experience, working with a diverse range of clients. People I have worked with have described my as being warm, friendly and approachable always making them feel at ease.
I work with adults of all ages and with children, teenagers and young people in my Private Practice. I am a mental health mentor, working with University students who have emotional and mental health difficulties.
I have been a mentor to a teenager who was having emotional difficulties and have experience counselling in schools with 11 - 16 year olds. I use creative, cognitive and symbolic techniques such as writing and drawing to encourage children, teenagers and young people to express their emotions and feelings in a relaxed and informal way.
As a registered member of the BACP (www.bacp.co.uk) - British Association for Counselling and Pyschotherapy I adhere to the ethical framework and am working towards accreditiation.
- Specialist Mental Health Mentor at University of Bath providing one to one support for students with mental health difficulties.
- Private Practice at Cowan House www.cowanhouse.co.uk and Elim Connect Centre www.connect-elim.org.uk/ Counselling adults and young people.
- School Counsellor at Crispin School Street providing counselling for young people aged 11 - 16 years
- Volunteer Counsellor at Connect Counselling, Elim Connect Centre in Wells (www.connect-centre.org.uk)
- Group Co-Facilitator providing Self Management/Peer Support Courses at Chard WATCH CIC watchproject.org.uk working in partnership with Somerset Skills & Learning and Somerset Mental Wellbeing Service
- Volunteer School Counsellor at Chiltern Trinity College in Bridgwater providing counselling to young people aged 11-16 years
- Counsellor at Turning Point (www.turning-point.co.uk) providing counselling to people with substance and alcohol misuse and addictions
- Volunteer Promise Mentor offering support to a vulnerable young person (www.somersetmentoring.org.uk)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Children and Young People, University of South Wales
- CPCAB Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Diploma in Creative Cognitive Therapy
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Studies
- RSA Certificate in Counselling Skills
- How to do counselling online - BACP OpenLearn
- Moving Your Practice Online - Online Therapy Institute
- Existential Contributions to Counselling and Psychotherapy - Mick Cooper
- A Pluralistic Approach to Therapy - Mick Cooper
- Relational Depth in Counselling & Psychotherapy - Mick Cooper
- MET - Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- Manchester Centre for CBT - Introduction to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Barnardo's Adoption Counselling Training
- Barnardo's Supporting Young People Who Self Harm
- Domestic Abuse Training
- Child Protection/Safeguarding Training
- Working with The Inner Child
- Childhood Sexual Abuse & It's Effects Into Adulthood with Deep Release Counselling Training
- PROMISE Mentor Training which included : Illegal drug use, social exclusion, criminal behaviour, problem solving, supporting 'troubled' young people, considering issues of equal opportunities and health and safety, young people "in care" and "in need", building relationships, managing risk